somethingrelevantgroup


Something%20RelevantQuantcast

Friday, February 29, 2008

“I listen to Rock Man!!!”

What is this obsession people have with classifying the music they listen to? And once they decide what kind they like (which usually is what everyone else is listening to), it becomes the ultimate thing ever! Everything else takes a back seat to it. And the usual answer when I ask someone the kind of music they like is: “I listen to Rock Man!!!”

I wonder how many of them actually have a clue as to what they are talking about.

I was once reading a few posts on this “Music Forum” and I come across a heated discussion with almost the entire population of Sri Lanka replying. Now me, being the idiot that I am, thought that this could be a very interesting discussion, probably a really intellectual discussion on music patterns, styles and categories.

Well, that thought lasted about 20 seconds.

It all started with a simple query from a new member to the site:
Newbie: Hey all, I’m new here. I just wanted to know what this “Rock” music is. I’ve heard a lot of people talking about it and was very curious.

These are some of the answers the poor guy received:

Enrique_Rulz: Rock is music that is rocking man!! dude.. you just know what rock is when you hear it
Metal_Maniac: dude! what a poser man! how can you be here if you dont know what rock is!!! get away from me!
Fingers_Fly: Rock is the killer gutiaring and the heavy drumming and the head bangings man! its all in the attitude! Rock on
Metal_Maniac: ^^ don’t waste time on this guy man! He has no clue! Hes a wannabe! POSER!!!
I_Love_Rock: METALLICAAAAAAA!!! \m/\m/

( I've never quite understood what \m/ means).Now at this point, someone made the horrible mistake of using the “m” word. Suddenly, interest in the thread tripled and everyone seemed to take an interest.

The_Classifier: I wouldn’t classify Maiden and Metallica under rock.
I_Love_Rock: Metallica is very much a rock band, classified under Heavy Metal if u didn’t know that genre existed!! LOSER
The_Classifier: When I said I wouldn’t classify them under rock, it’s cuz I look at metal as an entirely different genre; far, far different from pure rock
I_Love_Rock: Don’t overreact Mr Classifier…..for your kind knowledge Heavy Metal is a sub-genre of Rock Music as is Thrash…..
MegaDeth_Boy: Megadeth is d god father of metal guys,,,,dave mustaine u rock,,,,now I feel lik growing my hair for d concert to do some serious headbang

Okay! Honestly, this is the point at which I fell off my chair dying with laughter!

Maiden_Boy:I wouldn say they are the godfather of metal. Nothing comes above maiden and Sabbath… Megadeth is way too behind to match these guys
Confused Boy:In terms of Guitars, Megadeth are better than Maiden..Megadeth’s music is more complicated that of Maiden..
Tech_Spec:Maiden is more towards the melodic side. Megadeth has better technicalities,
More people prefer the melodic tunes.
Peace_Maker:Honestly guys, rock is jus way too diverse to be considered one genre… Nirvana is my favourite rock band by the way
The_Classifier: hey! but nirvana is grunge metal! Don’t you guys know anything???


Well, you get the picture. 29 pages of this! I’m enlightened! Man, I wish I had some work to do! Really! I just feel really sorry for newbie. His foundation must be shattered! Rock on! I say!

-aalok

2 comments:

ME said...

I doubt the classification will ever cease... It just gets more indepth, in my estimation when those boys grow up Jazz will be the new Rock.

Kolaa said...

and the funny thing is that it exists almost EVERYWHERE i go.

its getting to the point that some people are more interested in showing off how much they actually know about the music without actually listening to it or even enjoying it